Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Tom finished radiation today. He has an appointment in four weeks to review his treatment and it's results with the radiologist. He actually received a diploma and this is what it said:

"Certificate of Merit and Appreciation" "Be it Declared that Thomas Drolet has completed the prescribed course of radiation therapy with the highest degree of courage determination, and good nature. We appreciate the confidence placed in us and the opportunity to serve you."

How cool is that? How true is that? He definitely completed this course with the highest degree of courage, determination and good nature!

Through this whole thing Tom has been great! He's had some really bad days and I know I've said it before - to quit smoking and go through what he's been through he is a Saint.

Thank you Kel, Tam, and Jeanne for the comments on yesterday's Blog. I look forward to the comments each day.

I'm going to tell you a little story. One that not many know but since we've developed this relationship over the past 33 days or so I thought I would entertain you.

Some 41-42 years ago I met Tom. He was dating a friend of mine. I knew I was interested in him so when he was taking my friend back to Plymouth State after semester break I offered to accompany them. Knowing that I would get to ride back with Tom alone. Yes, devious behavior as it was, I knew he was "the one". On the ride home I knew we were interested in each other but nothing happened then. Shortly after the ride to and from Plymouth he stopped dating my friend (she was way too loud for him anyway! and in case you are interested no longer a friend!). A couple of months after our trip to Plymouth State my car broke down and Tom stopped to fix it for me. I knew then he would call.

A short time later he called me for a date. We went out several times. At the time Tom asked me out I had been dating a guy from New England College for some time. Because dating two guys at the same time wasn't "done" then (not like it is today) I remember asking my brother who should I choose Tom or the guy from NEC. My brother chose Tom. I too, thought Tom was so stable, so "even" (for lack of a better word). I loved that about him.

We started dating in the winter of 1969 and the following November we were married. We will be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary in November. I couldn't have made a better choice for a husband or a father.

Tom is comfortable with who he is. He doesn't second guess his decisions. He isn't a romantic guy but he brings far more to this relationship than romanticism. It's the little things he does like checking my oil before I go on a business trip.

Tom and I have two wonderful children (adults now). We couldn't be more proud of each of them and I won't even start talking about the grandchildren but they are the BEST!

When our kids were young Tom worked two jobs so I could work part time and be home with the kids as much as possible. He never complained he just did what needed to be done.

During our forty year relationship we have each been in pretty severe auto accidents and both survived. Dealing with this cancer is one more "bump in the road" that we are facing in our relationship. I feel we are blessed to have all of the things we have. We have a nice home, we have great kids, we have jobs, and we have the best family and friends. I am praying every day that this "bump in the road" is just that.

I'm the worrier in our relationship. I let little things get to me. I'd like to think after this experience I'll let those little things go and not get wrapped up in the things in life that don't really matter at all. Life is too precious to spend energy and time wasted on small things.

It's unfortunate that it takes an event like Tom and I are experiencing to make you realize the things you thought were so important are really so small in the grand scheme of things.

If I were to list all of the things Tom brings to our relationship you would be reading this Blog for a very long time. Tom is by far the stability in this relationship. I'm the romantic (hard to believe from a type A personality but it's true).

I could not be prouder or more grateful that I chose Tom during that fateful time in my life.
I am more in love with Tom today than ever, even after almost 40 years.

For those of you who are complacent in your relationship think about all of the great things your partner brings to the table. I'm sure everything isn't great all the time because no one is 100% perfect and don't the good and the bad things make the relationship that much better because that's how great relationship are built, isn't it? I'll bet if you list both the great and not so great things about your partner the things you do like will far outweigh the ones you don't. Focus on the positive things and let go of those things that you perceive are not so positive. In fact, not just the positive things about your partner but everything in life.

On another note - to maintain my focus on using non-chemical laden products here is a recipe for "Skin Feeding Sun Screen"

3 oz sesame oil
2 oz sweet almond oil
1/2 oz pure beeswax
4 oz distilled water
2 T zinc oxide

Optional
5 drops rose hip oil
5 drops chamomile essential oil
5 drops primrose oil

Melt the sesame, sweet almond oil and beeswax in a double boiler. Remove from heat, add water, blend with a stick blender until uniform. Allow mixture to cool. Add zinc oxide and other essential oils of your choice, if using. Blend. Transfer mixture to glass jar. Can be stored for up to six months.
Greasier skins should use almond oil alone. Sensitive skin is better off with a drop of chamomile oil instead. Be aware that chamomile oil is mildly lightening. Mature, dry skin would benefit from 1-3 drops of rose hip or evening primrose oil in addition to the sweet almond oil.

Sunscreen should be worn everyday even in winter. Enjoy. Most of the products can be purchased at Hannafords or Granite State Natural Foods. They would make great Christmas gifts too. Don't you think we should get back to making Christmas gifts? Wouldn't they be more meaningful?

Because Tom has completed his treatment this will be it for the daily Blog. I will update the Blog each Sunday so those of you who are interested can be informed of his progress until we are "out of the woods" and he's feeling better and back to work.

We still have a way to go. Tom has to regain his strength, he's still facing more Chemo. He will have another scan in several weeks to see what everything looks like and we'll know more then.

This has been quite an experience. Not only dealing with the cancer treatments but having you all be so supportive and helping me get through this. I don't know what I would have done without you! I know I've said it in all the Blogs. I truly cannot thank you all enough for your support. We are truly blessed to have you on our side and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

I hope you will continue to read the Blogs on Sunday evenings or Monday mornings so I can keep you informed of how Tom progresses through his current recovery and the next Chemo treatments.

Thank you so much!!





5 comments:

  1. What the hell are you talking? I am and will always be 100% perfect. Come mom, even you and dad know that. You can fix that statement in your bolg under the Edit tab.
    Anyways, That is awesome. I have to say that being the stronger kid, this has been hard, but dad has gotten up everyday, and gone, and never given up. Good things come to good people, and my dad is by far one of the best people I know, and I am pretty everyone feels the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! I am so proud of you Tommy, phase I complete, I know this has been very difficult for you. I am away right now but your health has been all I have been thinking about. I pray everyday that you will continue to improve and become healthy again. I will be right there through your next phase of treament. You are the BEST. Keep the faith. Lov ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sharon...what a great story!
    Congratulations, Tom, for receiving your diploma....and with such "aplomb"!
    You are both such an inspiration! Thank you! :~)

    Ring Dings were always MY favorite!...Haven't had them in years :~( Maybe I'll bring some along when we share a Mich Light! Wonder how they go together??? :~)

    Hope this makes you smile!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o0ExGXfs2o

    See you soon!- Brenda :~)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny Bones and Beer would be better :) Besides then you get a little protien from that peanut butter. And Dad, I think we should talk Brian into making you some pulled pork when you are better. Besides that goes much better with the beer. I will work on that for you, just let me know when your ready. We will have that next weekend camping if you are up for the ride. :)

    Love you, Tami

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for posting your story sharon-I had no idea how you two met and that you were such a little hussy! (totally kidding!!)

    I did see food inc and we made some serious changes in our food as well as a result. we're not totally organic (yet) but have made very signficant changes. for those who aren't ready to go organic, eliminating one single ingredient from your food can really help a lot: High Fructose Corn Syrup (regular corn syrup isn't bad-it's the HFCS thats really bad stuff) causes all kinds of health problems!

    thanks for the words about worrying about the small things and appreciating what you have-truer words have never been spoken and we can all use a reminder here and there!

    -Kerry

    ReplyDelete