Friday, August 6, 2010

Day 20 of treatment. Is this a milestone yet?

Not much to report today regarding Tom's health. Last day of radiation before we go back to radiation and Chemo on Monday. He's definitely not looking forward to it.

Thanks for the comments regarding food choices. We've tried the Jello, too sweet. I made him mashed potatoes tonight. Added a little cheese and some protein powder just to give him some calories. Well, that didn't work. He didn't like them at all. Evidently the cheese and protein powder made them a little thick for him. Next time it will be plain mashed potatoes.

I tried another carnation shake, this time with Coconut milk. That way there would be no chance of a Lactose reaction. That didn't work either. I actually thought it was pretty good. He thought it was horrible.

So, it was back to soft scrambled eggs which seem to be the old standby. At least it's something. If he eats scrambled eggs for the rest of his treatment, fine with me as long as he eats something.

I also made some creme brulee without the sugar topping. He was able to eat that. Since it's made with egg yolks and cream, it has tons of calories and as long as he can eat it I'll continue to make it.

I'm not complaining, mind you. It's just frustrating because I want him to maintain as much strength as he can through this ordeal.

Making several different meals for dinner brings me back to the days when the kids were small and everyone wanted something different.

Donna (one of Tom's sisters) came to visit today. Thanks Donna.

Tom received two really nice cards today. Again, from some folks at the Morton building. Thanks so much ladies. Your cards and thoughts are very much appreciated.

What you don't see on the Blog is that each day, after my sister reads the Blog, she sends me an e-mail. In her e-mails she summarizes the situation we're in, tells us how great we're doing in fighting this disease every day, then gives us words of encouragement to keep going. Thanks Nan. I'm so glad you're my sister.

You've read it before. You'll read it again. Straight from the heart. Your cards, visits, comments, e-mails, kind words, thoughts and prayers are truly helping us through this ordeal. We are truly fortunate to have you all in our corner and for that we will be eternally grateful.

2 comments:

  1. sharon, maybe if you make the eggs with a little of the boost? that might squeeze some more calories in

    -Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your all in my prayers every day. Tommy is strong and so are you :) Love you all,I check daily

    ReplyDelete