Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I thought treatments would be so much easier. Not so much. Tom is pretty tired, which is consistent with the Chemo treatments. His appetite isn't as good as it's been recently or as bad as it was during the aggressive treatments so I guess that's a good thing. I'm not sure why I thought this would be easier given what Chemo does to ones system.

Thanks for your comments on the last Blog Kel, Jeanne, Kristi and Kerry. Comments are always so appreciated. And Kerry, you're right, at least about the chicken soup. He still eats eggs but my guess is when he gets better chicken soup will be off the menu!

November is Lung Cancer Awareness month.


I have some statistics on lung cancer to share with you -

Over 60% of new lung cancer cases are never smokers or former smokers
One in five women and one in twelve men diagnosed with lung cancer have never smoked
Only 16% of lung cancer is diagnosed at it's early stages


Generally lung cancer is found when looking for something else.


Lung cancer continues to be the least funded of any of the cancers which is surprising given the statistics above.


When we think about how far breast cancer research has come it seems the same could be done for lung cancer. It also seems that there could be some type of pre-screening. Wouldn't that be nice? Lung cancer could then be found in the early stages rather than finding it when looking for something else.


I know, I was quite surprised after reading the above statistics since I think most people think of lung cancer as the smokers disease and I guess I did too.


We're in treatment now, the chairs are all full. How cancer effects so many. How far treatments have come although we have a way to go.


I have started a team - "The Lungest Yard" - for a 5k walk in Boston on November 6th to benefit lung cancer. Kelly, Jo, Tami, Ben and Amanda will be walking with me. If any of you, reading the Blog, would like to join the team and walk with us we would be privileged to have you. The link to register is below. It is $25 for adults and $10 for children. If you choose to join the team please let me know and we can make plans to go together, or meet there.


It's not often that I solicit contributions, but for obvious reasons, finding a cure for lung cancer is important to our family. If you feel you can, or want to contribute please use the link below to do so.


Please let me know if you can't access the link and I'll have Kelly help me with it. Once you access the site you can register to join the team or you can access the team (under the registration section) to donate to a team member, if you choose.

http://events.lungevity.org/goto/TheLungestYard



I thank you every time I post the Blog. I'll continue to thank you every time. Thank you so much for reading the Blog and keeping informed as to what is going on. We appreciate the time you give to us by reading the Blog, responding, and being there. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, but I am just reading the blog. I definitely will join the team and walk on November 6th!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete