Monday, July 26, 2010

Day 11 of treatment. Tom hasn't lost any hair yet but I guess it starts to fall out a couple of weeks after Chemo stops. I'll keep you posted.

In previous Blogs I mentioned that Tom is supposed to try and walk at least six minutes a day.

We walked to the mailbox today to get the paper. Then we walked down again some time later to get the mail. Small steps in trying to build some strength. It's funny what we take for granted. Sounds like such a cliche and yet being here, now, it's so clear to see. I depend on Tom for a lot of things. Now we're excited that he can make it to the mail box not once, but twice in one day without getting too fatigued. That said, he slept most of the rest of the day.

Friends and family continue to ask what they can do to help us. I keep saying be patient because that day will come. But for right now, today, do something for us. Look at your partner, friend, children, sister, brother, grandchildren, those special people in your life. Really look at them for who they are, their strengths, their weaknesses and appreciate who they are and what they bring to your life. And for just one day, even a minute, don't take them for granted.

Our friend (and personal electrician) has stopped at least once a week to check on Tom and if he doesn't stop he calls. Thanks Jeff. Your friendship means a lot to us (not to mention that you're the best electrician around, in spite of what I say to you when you're actually here). We appreciate that you take time out of your busy schedule to visit.

Jeanne told us this weekend that Tom should be using a special toothpaste. That her experience has been that Chemo and Radiation can cause tooth decay due to dry mouth. That's not in any books I've read. It's nearly impossible to know all the side effects this type of treatment brings. Thanks Jeanne for the info. and for getting the toothpaste for Tom.

Nan e-mailed me about some calorie rich, lactose free, low sodium drink (like Boost) that Tom should be able to tolerate. I'm going to try to pick some up this week so he can try it. Thanks Nan.

Jeanne is going to set up a Reiki treatment for Tom....stay tuned.....

Along with the chicken soup that Sharon brought she also brought us a ton of herbs from her garden. Now that I am an organic monster I boiled the lavender she brought and used it to make lavender shampoo/body wash. I snipped some of the other herbs she gave us and used them to make glycerine soap. I know you all think I'm nuts but with radiation Tom can't use anything with chemicals. And yes, most people would use herbs in some sort of gourmet dish, but me, I make soap and shampoo.

As I'm writing this Blog it occurs to me that you all want to help and have asked what you can do.....please go back and read some of the previous paragrahps and look at what you are doing. Thank you so much!!!!!

If we think about the good things that come from this, Tom has quit smoking and we're using natural products and eating organic foods. I can't help but believe if more people did this natural products and organic foods would become more affordable for everyone. And no, I'm not preaching this because I know this lifestyle doesn't work for everyone.

In a previous Blog I mentioned that I purchased some organic, all natural laundry detergent from the Vermont Soap company. I've had a chance to use it and it's really great! I have a high efficiency washing maching so I only need a 1/4 of a cup and I don't need fabric softener when I use it. It's called Liquid Sunshine for any of you who are interested.

Ok, I'll get of my soapbox (literally) and end this Blog.

We thank you all for your prayers and well wishes. They truly are appreciated and are helping us every day to get through this journey. THANK YOU!!

1 comment:

  1. Forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future. Live Life :)

    ReplyDelete