Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tom didn't have a great week this week.  We are taking it one day at a time.  He has so much courage.  I don't think I would handle things as well as he is if I were in his position.

For those of you who know Tom, you know he did practically everything around the house.  I keep telling him that I was already very aware of everything he did and that I didn't need to experience it first hand to truly appreciate it.  After shoveling snow, keeping the fire going, going to the recycle center every week, not to mention my fiasco with trying to dig the roof rake out of the snow and actually thinking I could use it.  I couldn't even lift it!  I was so convinced that I could help by shoveling the roof.  Needless to say, we had to hire someone to do it.  I also now know how to use the battery charger as the Jeep wouldn't start the other day so Tom walked me through how to use the battery charger.  That too, another fiasco, because evidently the reason it wouldn't start was because I didn't have the clutch pushed down far enough.  We called our son in law to help us out and, for him, it started right away.  Now, if you didn't know if before,  you can see how much I need Tom here.   He truly is one of a kind.

I will get to the numerous thank you's later in the post but there are some other things I would like to share with you.

Some time ago I bit the bullet and purchased a Vita-Mix blender.  If any of you have one you know they are very pricey.  That being said, they are awesome.  I make smoothies with whole fruit and greens (green smoothies), that are really good.   I originally bought it in hopes of making Tom some green smoothies - no go.   I make my own nut butters too.  No more buying peanut butter with other "stuff" in it.  In any case, a week ago, while trying to make a smoothie and do the other things I was trying to do (of course, I can't be doing just one thing) I took the lid off and pushed my fruit into the blender with the tamper that was provided.   You are not supposed to take the lid off.  You are supposed to take a portion of the lid off so the tamper does not end up in the blade.  Well, it did.  I broke my blender.  It was under warranty but due to my carelessness I thought they are never going to warranty it.  I called them and explained everything.  Evidently the Vita-Mix is designed to break where it did so the motor doesn't burn out when you put something in it you shouldn't.  They could not have been nicer.  The person I talked to was sending me a new part so I can fix it myself (well,  we'll see about that) AND a new tamper since mine was destroyed with the blade.  Here is the kicker.  They are sending it FREE.   Yes, I said FREE.  She was trying to help me out since I explained to her what I did.  Why can't all companies treat people this way?

And, here's another one... two of my sister-in-laws told me about the Bragg website.  www.Bragg.com.  A website based on health and wellness.  It's a great website.  If you get a chance, check it out.  As it turned out I purchased a gardening book and a vegetarian cookbook on line.  They called me about my order because the shipping I chose was expensive and they had cheaper shipping price that they wanted me to know about.  Not only that, but the vegetarian cookbook I ordered was no longer in print so they e-mailed me a copy - FREE.  Yes, again, FREE.  It gives me faith that there truly are companies who care about the people who purchase their products.  Maybe that's my idealistic view but I would do business with Bragg and Vita-Mix anytime and I would recommend them to anyone.  How nice it feels to do business with companies that you don't feel are taking advantage of you.

One more...For a long time I have been looking at "soap nuts" to use as laundry detergent and recently purchased some.  They are organic, have been used for thousands of years, are eco-friendly, biodegradable, hypoallergenic, unscented and highly effective.  They can be put in the compost pile when you finish with them.  Check them out at www.NaturOli.com.  By the way, they work great!

What Tom and I, and our kids are going through is incredibly difficult.  I don't say that for sympathy.  I say it because it's true.  As hard as it is, I know that without the support of friends and family, I don't know what would happen to us.

I keep saying we will be forever grateful and I truly mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Tom's sister brought us a frozen chicken that she raised herself, pickles and relish that she made, along with brownies for Tom.  Of course he did not eat the brownies so guess who did.  I wished she raised chickens to sell.  She has the cleanest, meatiest, chickens I have ever seen and they aren't full of hormone laden stuff.  Thank you Penney.

Pip brought more peanut butter cookies for Tom before she left for a Florida vacation.

Jeff, our nephew plowed us out last week as he was making his other plow runs.

Jeff, our electrician, stops every week, without fail.  He bought Tom a model car and paint by numbers so he could try to do something during the day.

I received a very nice call from a former work mate last week wishing us the best and letting us know that he and his wife are thinking about us.

I don't think I formally thank my peers at work.  I was working between 2,200 and 2,300 hours a year (I know, I have nothing on you guys who have been plowing this winter) and someone, or someone(s) are picking up those hours for me.  Tom is my first priority, but I want the people who I work with to know what a sacrifice this is for them too.  Being away from their families more than they used to be in order to cover my workload.  I am truly appreciative.

Thanks so much to those of you who commented on the Blog...Kelly, Tami, Kerry, John, Sharon, Jeanne and Brenda (I think).  You're comments help me feel that you are in this with me.

I am so proud of our kids.  The numerous nights I call them in tears and they keep it together, at least while I'm on the phone.  I'm sure once they get off the phone with me they are in tears as well.  We are a close family and I know this is difficult for them too.  Thank you, girls, for all you do and for being our kids.

This disease affects us all.  All of those who help, call, visit.  I would ordinarily say we would return the favor if you ever need us to.  Instead I will say I pray we never have to return the favor to any of you.

Thank you so much for being there for us.

4 comments:

  1. Mom,
    Great post! I am hoping that I get cleared to drive on Thursday, and if I do I will be over Friday. Tell dad I love him, and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon- What a beautiful post! Thanks so much for sharing all of this with us! It really is a gift that you give us as you tell us of your journey...your struggles, your "discoveries", your fortitude, your gratitude, your love. You and Tom are touching so many of us. If there is , indeed, a "silver lining" to every cloud...you find it and show it to us. Thank you. I keep you in my thoughts and prayers and am here for you if there is ever anything that I can help with. With love & gratitude- Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Wanted to add "your courage and faith" to the list of what you share with us.- Brenda :~)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerry here:

    I came across a website and chatted with a friend who has used it. the website is called lotsahelpinghands.com its a webiste that is very helpful as it coordinates people who want to help. you list chores and things you need help with and friends and family can volunteer to do them. I know so many people want to help but also dont want to burden you with offers of help. using this site you can let people know what you need and people who want to help can take on specific tasks. somehting to think about, I guess. thanks for sharing the Bragg website-I will check it out!

    thanks for updating us all so much sharon and of course we all hope and pray that tom is better soon

    ReplyDelete