Sunday, January 23, 2011

As I said a long time ago, the first part of the Blog would be related to Tom and how he's feeling.  From there I would go on to organic information, life lessons and/or other information that I hope may inform and/or inspire you.

Tom had a tough week this week.  He hasn't been feeling well at all.  I'm hoping next week will be better.

I ask you all to keep him in your thoughts and prayers (as Kerry and Jeanne said please keep good thoughts!!).

Kerry, thank you so much for your insight.  Isn't it interesting how if we make some little changes in our lives it can make, not only a difference in our lives, but in the lives of others with whom we have contact?  The good Karma is an especially nice thought.    I'm reading a book called Love, Medicine and Miracles that also mentions how our attitudes can make all the difference in our health.  Isn't it better to be happy than to be hostile or angry with people, especially in the case of your horn blower.  Had you been angry,  my guess is he may have retaliated over what turned out to be just a bad horn connection. 

I have to admit mine is a work in progress but I think the more we try, the better we become as I'm sure you're realizing too.   If not better, at least happier.

Jeanne, thanks for your comments too.   As always, comments are very much appreciated.    And that's my lead in to what I've been thinking about all week.

I HATE this.  I HATE that Tom is sick.  I HATE that he is feeling miserable.  I want to do something and I'm stuck.  It's hard and I am definitely not in control which is a real problem for me.  Now, for the old cliche - out of something bad there is always something good.  While it's hard to find the good things there are some.  Or at least, an awareness that I wished I'd had a long time ago.

Throughout this process I know I continue to tell you how all of your support means everything.  What occurred to me last week was that Tom and I have been married for 40 + years.  I have always been close to my sister, and my brother too (before he passed away).  Tom and I weren't really close to his family because, like all of us, we are so busy raising kids, working, going to school there just wasn't enough time in the day.

Jeanne and Donna, Tom's sister's consistently check in.  Jeanne calls if she doesn't stop.  I truly enjoy their company, as does Tom.  I wished we (or I) had taken the time earlier to get to know them better.  I think they have a lot to offer and I would be proud to call them friends.  It's unfortunate that hindsight, rather than foresight, is 20/20.

This is not to take away from the rest of Tom's family whom we've had contact with throughout the years.  We are very appreciative of them, as well.

I have also made a new friend in our new sister-in-law Tammy.  She has a great heart and is a really good friend.  She, like everyone, wants to help but I don't know what to ask for.  She suggested that she come to church with me today.  What a wonderful, kind gesture.  Just to be there for support.  Something so simple and yet so kind.  Thank you Tammy.

It doesn't end here.  I couldn't be prouder of our daughters.   I think, as parents, we can take some credit for how our kids turn out.  But I also believe learning and growing never stops and continues well beyond when they leave the comfort of the home in which they grew up.   There are things that I am discovering about our kids every day.    I believe our daughters have turned out to be very extraordinary women.

I wonder if I would have discovered the things I have if Tom and I weren't going through this difficult time in our lives.    If anything good can come out if this that has to be it.

My sister, e-mails and keeps in touch constantly.  She is the primary care giver for our Mom and yet she makes sure I know where she is all the time in case I need her.  Just knowing she is there means so much.  Thank you Nan.

I have used this Blog to thank a few people that have been pretty constant in our lives, some always, some lately.  They are not the only ones.   If I were to name everyone this Blog would become a book and you would all loose interest.  It's when we are experiencing lows that people come to our aide, and we are incredibly fortunate to have the friends and family that have done just that.  I keep telling you that means everything when you are in a situation like ours.  You can't truly appreciate it unless you sit where we are but I will tell you if we are to look for the good in all of this it is to see the kindness and genuine compassion that people have shown to us.  The things we've learned about those we thought we knew.  Thank you so much.

2 comments:

  1. Mom,
    There is no way that I would be who I am if it were not for you and daddy. You and Dad made me the person I am today, and the person that Tami is as well (I know this because she said something to Ben while I was on the phone with her, and it was exactly what you used to say to us.)
    I thank you both for making me who I am! I am also proud to say I had great role models for parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am very thankful for all the conversations we have had over the past several months. We have really shared some very interesting and intimate stories. Of course I hate seeing Tom so sick and in pain, but you have to think that "things" happen for a reason, and I don't think any of us would have connected the way we have if this had not happen. Just makes you more aware of how very very important family is and that we should never take one another for granted. My prays continue every day. And thanks for allowing me into you life. I am very grateful.

    ReplyDelete