Sunday, January 16, 2011

First to update you on Tom.  He hasn't had a great week.  We were able to get into the radiologist on Tuesday so he has had four days of radiation.  He will have six more treatments.

I'm not sure if any of you reading the Blog has ever been through a similar situation and I'm also not sure there is a worse feeling than the helplessness that I feel in not being able to take this pain away from Tom.  He continues to be a trooper in dealing with this horrible disease.  I am so proud of him and could not ask for a better man in my life - in fact I don't think there is a better man than he is.

Now for my weekly lesson.  I have very little patience, not while driving, not for people who are rude, not for incompetence.   If I am in a situation where the person I'm dealing with is rude or unfriendly, I think "What a jerk.   They should find another job if they can't be pleasant".   A thought occurred to me while I was driving to the Pharmacy to pick up some pain medication for Tom this week.  I make a lot of assumptions when I think a person is a jerk because they are rude or unfriendly.  How do I know they aren't just having a bad day or that they aren't dealing with a similar situation that Tom and I are in, or heaven forbid something even worse?  Why is it okay for me to just assume they are a jerk because they weren't nice to me on a particular day?  I'm going to work at trying to be more understanding.  Not to make assumptions for something that I know nothing about.  To try to be nicer, even when someone isn't particularly nice to me.  I don't know if any of you ever feel the way that I do sometimes but I think if we all try to be more understanding and don't assume things about others we might all be better off.

One of the other thoughts I had this week was for you guys keeping the roads clear during the current blizzard.  For those of you who don't know, the guy's plowing the roads for DOT work tirelessly for hours on end to keep the roads clear for those of us driving on them.  When I say hours on end they are working straight for 16, 20, 30 hours or more.  Thank you!!

At church today the minister presented us with what it would look like if God had texted the Ten Commandments to Moses.  I thought it was fun and that I would share it with you.

M, PLS RITE ON TABS & GIV 2 PPL (Moses, please write on tablet and give to people)

1.  no 1 b4 me. srsly (No one before me, seriously)
2.  dnt wrshp pix/idols (Do not worship idols)
3.  no omg's (No Oh My God's - do not take the Lord's name in vain)
4.  no wrk on wkend (sat 4 now; sun l8r)  (no work on weekends - Saturday for now - Sunday later) (keep the sabbath holy)
5.  pos ok - ur m&d r cool (parents over shoulder ok - your Mom and Dad are cool)
6.  dnt kill ppl (do not kill people)
7.  :-X only w/m8 (sex only with mate)
8.  dnt steal (don't steal)
9.  dnt lie re: bf (don't lie to your best friend)
10. dnt ogle ur bf's m8. or ox. or dnkey. myob (don't ogle your best friends mate, or ox, or donkey, mind your own business)

Thank you so much to all of you who are visiting, calling and helping to support us.

Donna and Jeanne stop in a least once a week.  I hope you know how much your visits mean to us!!

Tom's sister Penny brought us a chicken and a squash that she raised herself.  Thanks Penny.  They were both fabulous.

Nan and Ivan brought us a great fruit salad.    Nan, I am so glad you are my sister.  I love you.

Our friend, and personal electrician, Jeff continues to check in frequently.

Dennis and Tammy put in stair railings on our garage and cellar stairs so Tom could use them.   Thank you.

Thank you Brian for plowing and helping with the dump.  We appreciate everything you do.

Thanks Kel for cutting Dad's hair.

Thank you Jeanne, Sharon and Kerry for your comments on the last Blog.

I am noting those people who I have seen this past week.  In addition to those noted here we get calls, cards and well wishes from others as well.

I know you reading the Blog can't help but see the support we are so fortunate to have.  We are so grateful to all of you.  I'm not sure how we would ever get through this without you.    Thank you!!!

2 comments:

  1. kerry here: it's funny you mention that about assumptions. I was just talking to a friend about that very thing last night. I had told her that I was trying to be more understanding and not jump to conclusions about people/situations. In my opinion-"most" people's intentions are good and I have been trying to operate under that assumption. since losing my hearing (well, some of my hearing, lol) I often deal with people who get upset when I dont hear something they say. they think I'm being rude, or ignoring them, or whatever. it's unusual to be SO young (lol) for hearing loss I dont think it ever occurs to people that I am not ignoring them-I simply cant hear them. having experienced people's negative assumptions first hand it was definitely more top of mind than it normally would have been. I've had some interesting experiences with complete strangers while traveling that so touched me, I decided I wanted to try a little experiment. I was going to make assumptions about people-the difference was-I was going to assume GOOD, instead of bad and see where it led me. I had a situation a few months ago that really made me see how important my social experiment was. I had just come out of market basket and was almost at my car with my cart of groceries. as I got the cart up next to my car, another car pulled into the space next to me. as I glanced up-the man beeped his horn long and loud and gave me a dirty look. I immediately thought he was annoyed with me because my cart was infringing on "his" space by a few inches. Instead of giving him the dirty look I WANTED to do, or better yet, say something crabby to him, I took a deep breath and when he got out his car I smiled and said hello. He IMMEDIATELY lit up like a christmas tree and said good morning, and then proceeded to tell me how embarrassed he was that his horn was broken-apparently it just randomly beeps for no reason! we had a good laugh and we both walked away smiling (well, I drove but you get my meaning)it may sound hokey but I do believe in karma and if you put good energy out there, it can and will come back to you! practice random acts of kindness and never, ever assume that someone is just being a jerk to be a jerk. I can't tell you how many good experiences I have had since I started doing this little experiment and tried to be a little kinder to my fellow man. How about this Sharon? everyone pick a day to practice "random acts of kindness" in tom's name. buy the person behind you their coffee while you are in line at DD or starbucks, give a homeless person some handwarmers or maybe do something as simple as compliment a coworker, or look people in the eye and say hello. maybe all that "good" karma can be pushed out in Tom's name and he can benefit from it! I hope I don't upset anyone's beliefs or think I'm being silly or trite. I think karma IS a concept that CAN have a place in pretty much any belief (or lack thereof) system...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kerry I think that is a great idea. I know dealing with the public in a health care situation, I have always reminded my coworkers: when someone comes in and is not in the greatest of mood, it's NOT about you, they have THEIR own issues that they are dealing with, just be kind. It really is so simple, but so difficult for people to believe. I will continue to share my "good Karma" to every person I come in contact with. "Treat others as you would want to be treated yourself"

    ReplyDelete