Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Tom had his bloodwork today.  Evidently some parts of his blood improved but the parts that help stop infection aren't strong enough for him to have Chemo on Thursday so the Oncologist has put treatment off for one week.   They are holding off treatment because if Tom became too weak from the treatment and caught something, a cold, the flu, anything he would not be able to fight the infection.

I write this Blog with a little disappointment and a little sadness. Someone told me the other day that "Tom knew the dangers of smoking yet he continued to do it anyway. He should have known better." I know that I'm an idealist but it saddens me to think that people can think that way and worse yet voice those comments to me. Am I to assume that Tom deserves this? 

I understand that no one, unless you've been in this situation, knows how hard this is. It is a nightmare. It's hard on me, it's hard on the kids, it's hard on many of you and most of all this is hard on Tom. We can talk about knowing the dangers of smoking, we can say could've, would've, should've but it's a little late now. To actually say this to me was not only insensitive, it served absolutely no purpose. We are in a fight for Tom's life. We can't go back, we can only go forward. Tom is a wonderful human being. He does not deserve this. No one does.

I would also like to remind all of you reading the Blog that Lung Cancer impacts 1 in 14 americans. 1 in 14 - pretty bad odds.  There are currently no pre-screenings available.  Generally lung cancer is found only when looking for something else.  In a previous Blog I provided statistics on those who contract lung cancer.  Over 60% of new lung cancer cases are non-smokers.  What should they have done?  Do they deserve what they get?

 
All of you who read the Blog know that my sister e-mails me after every Blog she reads. After the last Blog she reminded me that it's good to control those things you can to make you happy because there is so much in life that is beyond our control. She is so right. 

Thank you Jeanne for the comment on the last Blog.  Good advice.

Thank you so much Barb for the very generous donation to the Lungevity walk. You are very kind and your generosity is very much appreciated.

As you all know we are walking on Saturday to raise money for lung cancer research.  Any of you interested in walking with us or contributing to the walk please refer to the link on the October 19 Blog.   We only have a few more days.  If you can contribute anything it will be very much appreciated.  If you can't you are very much appreciated anyway.  You have stayed with us through this and we will always be grateful.

My sister suggested that  as one of my Blog projects I consider listing some of the places where organic foods could be purchased.  I go to some very specific places but to do justice to the Blog and you before I list anything  I will  take  the time to take some notes comparing prices, selection, and geographic location in hopes to provide you with some useful information regarding organic food choices and other organic items, the ease of finding them, and price differences.

Thanks again for reading the Blog and being here.  I know I say this all the time but it really means everything.   Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. Waiting until next week is difficult, but from someone who is still dealing with a cold now in its fourth week I can tell you this cold is relentless for someone who is well never mind what Tom is dealing with.
    What a bitter, self absorbed person it is that has to make such a cruel statement. It really makes me angry that with all that you and your family are dealing with someone can get some type of personal gratification at inflicting more pain!
    I'm looking forward to the walk on Saturday! We can make a difference.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok mom, That made me so mad that someone had the nerve to say that. I would like to give them a piece of my mind, who do they think they are? They must be pretty high up on that pedistal of theirs to even think that way, I would hate for an illness to effect their family like it has ours.

    Like all of us we all deal with someone in our lives at some point that we need to let it go in one ear and out the other and not take it in any way shape or form. Just let it go and don't keep thinking about what they said. I am a true believer in Carma.

    I Love you and the kids can't wait for Saturday. I think they will probaby do better than I will :)

    Love Tami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well whoever that person is, clearly has no idea about cancer, and how many people get it. However like Aunt Nan says, and Jeff and always say to each other and the kids "Control what you can." You can't control other people or what they say or do, nor can you control if you get something like cancer. You have to know this person has some issues, and is trying to find a way to deal with their issues by making comments like that, and if they can sleep comfortably knowing how inconsiderate they were to you and your family, then I say that they are not a person I would like to be around, or associate with, and yes Karma is a bitch and will come back to them. But because we have such a good person in our lives like Dad, and we have karma it will all work out for daddy, and when he beats this he can look at the person and say words that I will not put on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry someone was insensitive enough to make that kind of comment!

    I wanted to share a link for people to locate locally grown meat:

    http://eatwild.com/

    and another publication for locally grown food:
    http://www.ediblecommunities.com/content/

    a way to grow fresh produce indoors, in the winter, in very small spaces! http://our.windowfarms.org/

    you can create a window garden for as little as $30 and the site includes free directions on how to build it.

    -Kerry

    ReplyDelete